SAP unveils enterprise-ready mobile app store
SAP, the market leader in ERP, CRM, business intelligence and analytics, has launched an enterprise mobile application store, which will support apps for Android, Blackberry, iOS and Windows Mobile.
The SAP Store for Mobile Apps is built on the firm’s Sybase Unwired mobile platform and is currently available as an on-device application for iOS (for iPhone).
For other devices, the platform can be accessed through the mobile web version, although support for Android, Blackberry and other mobile operating systems is expected to be added in the near future.
The applications are to be a mixture of SAP and third-party apps, all of which are sourced from SAP’s partner ecosystem. SAP expects 80% of its applications to come from these partners.
The apps are designed to be used by mobile workers in a range of different industries, and can be trialled first, before the business decides whether or not to buy them. Organizations can also directly request quotes for deploying certain apps across their business.
On launch, the apps store has more than 50 SAP and SUP-certified applications from partners, and this content varies from sales and productivity to human capital management (HCM). There are also apps for those working in healthcare, field sales and service, logistics and government.
Developers will get 85% of app revenue, with SAP taking the remaining 15%, half of Apple’s cut for its own App Store.
SAP has said that it will support ‘freemium’ apps (apps that are free initially, before convincing people to take paid versions), but will still take the 15% for in-app purchases. The apps must be SAP certified, but SAP is offering this certification for free until the end of the year.
The SAP Store for Mobile Apps debuted at the Sapphire Now + TechEd conference in Madrid this week, where SAP said that 20 partners submitted 200 apps to be shown on the show floor (100 were chosen).
"This perfect storm of mobile device proliferation, 3G adoption, employee mobility and consumer app demand is propelling mobile enterprise applications up the CIO agenda", said Nick McQuire, the EMEA research director for enterprise mobility strategies at market researcher IDC.