A worldwide study of the developer population shows that it is growing fast, that mobile is a key focus and that enterprise apps are trumping consumer apps.
The Developer Population and Demographics Study by Evans Data reminds us that all developers are not developing games. A majority of them are actually working on enterprise apps.
“People who think that mobile developers are only developers who sell apps through app stores are seeing just a small part of the overall picture,” says Janel Garvin, CEO of Evans Data Corp. ”Mobile development is becoming ubiquitous thanks to the prominence of mobile devices as the preferred client in both enterprise and consumer environments.”
Here are some takeaways from this study:
- 46% of software developers worldwide (or 8.7M) work on mobile apps
- There are twice as many mobile developers today as in 2010
- The global software developer population, currently at 19 million, will reach 25 million by 2020
- India and China are leading the growth in developer population
- 18% of developers are women
(Sign up for TabTimes’ free monthly Tablet App Business/Development newsletter)