Gartner vice president and distinguished analyst David Willis identified the ten top business application categories for tablets, when speaking at the Gartner Symposium/ITexpo in Australia earlier this week.
Willis said that business applications in the commercial app stores were, at first, tailored towards personal productivity tools, which were relatively inexpensive and allowed users to use as they wished.
“Now, major software vendors are taking the tablet seriously and embracing the market, following where users want to take the platform”, said Willis.
“As media tablets become more common in business, ERP, CRM and other business application vendors are looking to sell tablet versions of their software, but they will not all be equally usable or functional”.
Willis went on to add that there will be 900 million tablets in use in the world by 2016, and said that this will lead to increasing consumerization, especially among executives, CEOs (for distributing material at board meetings), sales and marketing staff as well as healthcare professionals.
Gartner’s top ten commercial business application categories for tablet devices are as follows;
- Sales automation systems – for customer collateral, sales presentations and ordering systems
- Business intelligence – for analytical and performance apps within management dashboards
- Containerised email – separating corporate messaging from personal email
- Collaboration apps for meetings
- File utilities to share and distribute documents
- General corporate/government enterprise apps for CRM, ERP, SCM and messaging
- Medical support systems for doctors and nurses
- Hosted virtual desktop agents for remote access applications
- Social networking applications