Android makes gains in enterprise tablet activations, but iPad still dominates
In fact, iOS combined (iPad and iPhone) accounted for a whopping 77% of all activations tracked by security and mobile collaboration provider Good Technology which counts half of the Fortune 100 companies as among its customers.
Overall, Android activations dropped 6.3% compared to Q4 2011, but still accounted for 22.7% of all activations for the quarter - primarily driven by Android tablets. Windows Phone devices came in a distant third for the quarter, capturing just half a percent of overall activations.
“CIOs today are able to realize increased productivity by supporting a diverse set of mobile products, while retaining security and control, and still provide their employee consumers with product choice,” said Christy Wyatt, CEO and President of Good Technology. "We continue to see more enterprise customers extending the accessibility of mobile applications to a broader employee population within their organizations."
Other findings of note in Good’s report:
- iOS platform activations rose 8.5% year-over-year, up from 71% in Q4 of 2011 to 77% in Q4 2012.
- The iPhone 5 was the most popular device in Q4 of 2012, representing 32% of all activations for the quarter.
- Although the iPad continues to lead tablet activations with 93.2 percent, Android tablets are gaining momentum. Android jumped from 2.7% to 6.8% of all tablet activations over the course of 2012.
- The most popular Android tablets among Good’s enterprise customers included the Samsung Galaxy Tab, followed by the Motorola Droid Xyboard, Samsung Galaxy Note, Asus Transformer, Kindle Fire and Motorola Xoom.
- The financial services industry led enterprise device activations during the quarter, followed by business and professional services. Together, these two industries made up more than half of the activations reported in Q4.
Good's report also showed that wholesale & retail, manufacturing and energy & utilities all moved up in the rankings for overall activations by sector, as well as iPad activations over last year.