While tablets haven’t resulted in the PC going by the wayside as many had predicted, current generation tabs are getting closer than ever to being the ultra-portable laptop replacements that some are hoping for, with there now a larger focus on functionality and productivity. The Apple iPad Pro tablets, available in 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch iterations, are prime examples of this, and adding the detachable Smart Keyboard and Apple Pencil only add to its usability. These tablets are certainly going to set you back a pretty penny, but if you are looking for a portable productivity solution, it doesn’t get better than the Apple iPad Pro.
Unfortunately, as also the case with any current generation smartphone or tablet, these tablets are not without their issues. Which is why, we’ve rounded up some of the common problems faced by Apple iPad Pro owners, and offer potential solutions and workarounds to address them.
Disclaimer: Not every iPad Pro tablet will face these issues, and in fact, it is more than likely that you won’t come across any of them at all.
Problem #1 – The TV app doesn’t work offline
Many users have found that the TV app requires an internet connection to work. Even though movies and TV shows have been purchased and downloaded on the device, users are unable to access any media, with the app failing to load. Luckily, there is a workaround that has worked.
- Some users have found the issue to be fixed by simply deleting and reinstalling the app.
- First, clear all the apps running in the background by double pressing the home button and swiping up the apps. Go to Settings – iTunes and App Store, tap on your Apple ID and then sign out. Restart the device and sign back in. With the device connected to Wi-Fi, open the TV app and make sure your downloaded content is available. Enable Airplane mode, and make sure the media still plays. With Airplane mode still activated, clear the app and relaunch it. Your downloaded content should still be available now.
Problem #2 – Lines and strokes appearing or disappearing when using the Apple Pencil
Some users have found that their strokes when using the Apple Pencil randomly disappear. On the other hand, some have also come across straight lines randomly appearing when taking notes.
- This issue seems to be caused by the Zoom accessibility feature and might have to do with a conflict between the three-tap gesture used to access this feature and the palm rejection feature that is enabled when using the Apple Pencil to draw or write on the screen. You can either disable the Zoom feature, or disable multi-finger gestures completely if you don’t use any.
Problem #3 – App downloads get stuck
Some users have found that their app downloads get stuck on waiting.
- Go to iTunes – More – Downloads and you will find any stuck downloads there. Delete all the downloads in progress, and then try downloading the apps again one by one.
- If you are unable to delete the apps in the steps above or if it an app update that is stuck, go to Settings – General – Usage and tap on Show All Apps. Find the app you are trying to update, delete it there, and then reinstall it from the App Store.
Problem #4 – Smart Keyboard not working or connecting as expected
Some users have found that the detachable Smart Keyboard becomes unresponsive on occasion.
- First, make sure that the iPad Pro and Keyboard are in the “Type” position. Fold the Smart Keyboard into a triangle with the keyboard in front of the tablet. The iPad needs to be in the groove above the number keys to be folded in the Type position.
- Make sure that there isn’t debris, dust, lint, etc. that can interfere with the smart connectors on the keyboard or the tablet.
- Disconnect the keyboard, restart the iPad Pro, and then reconnect the keyboard.
- This seems to be a software issue, with there being a lot of complaints in this regard since the update to iOS 10. A future update will hopefully address this problem.
Problems #5 – Connectivity issues
Some users have faced issues with connecting or maintaining a connection to a Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth pairing, and cellular connectivity.
- If your Wi-Fi connection keeps dropping or doesn’t connect, try restarting the router by turn it off for 30 seconds, and then turning it back on. Then, go to Settings – General – Reset – Reset Network Settings and add the information from scratch.
- If pairing your iPad with a Bluetooth device is an issue, go to Settings – Bluetooth and turn it off, and back on again.
- For data connectivity issues, go to Cellular – Cellular Data and turn it off and on again.
- If these problems continue, go to Settings – General – Reset and Reset All Settings.
Problem #6 – Software keyboard keeps freezing
Some users have found that the software keyboard seems to randomly freeze, and the only option is to restart the device, which helps only for a while before the issue reoccurs.
- Guided Access, an accessibility mode, sometimes interferes with some keyboards. Go into Settings – General – Accessibility – Guided Access, and make sure that the button is off.
- Go to Settings – iCloud – Documents and Data, and turn it off. If the issue goes away, you should be able to turn this back on again without the problem coming back.
- You can also try resetting all settings by going to Settings – General – Reset all Settings.
- Adding or removing third-party keyboards is now possible by going to Settings – General – Keyboards. Swiping a keyboard name to the left will reveal a delete button. Tap on “Add New Keyboard…” for other available options.
- Some users have found that the only option was to pick up a replacement device.
So, there you have it for this roundup of some of the common problems Apple iPad Pro owners come across, and potential solutions and workarounds to address them. If you have come across any other issues, do let us know in the comments section below and we will try our best to find a fix for you.
Until then, don’t let this small list of issues deter you from picking up what is excellent tablet, with most of these problems easily addressed with software updates. The Apple iPad Pro is one of the best productivity and media-consumption machines out there, and as mentioned, it is more than likely that you won’t come across any of the issues listed above anyway.