Today, Square announced that its newest product will allow retail merchants of all shapes and sizes to use their iPad as a full-fledged cash register.
The solution is called Square Register, and beyond the usual credit card and debit card payment and processing, this app offers a number of new features, including:
- The ability to connect an iPad to a supported receipt printer and cash drawer.
- Enhanced inventory management, including the ability to attach photos to sale inventory
- Fast touch-based checkout options based on pictures of inventory
- Loyalty and incentive programs, tracked by customer
- Analytics that will allow you retailers to assess top sellers, inventory needs, and more
RIght now, Square Register supports the Star Micro TSP143LAN or TSP650 printers, and any APG cash drawer Vasario Series equipped with a MultiPRO Interface 320 (24V), such as the Vasario 1416 or Vasario 1616. Detailed instructions for connecting these peripherals can be found on Square's site.
To process credit card transactions, retailers will need to request a free card reader from Square, which is also available on Square's site.
Just like the iPhone version of the app, Square charges a flat 2.75% on all purchases with Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. By way of comparison, Quicken's Point of Sale desktop PC solution offers a 1.64% flat rate on credit and debit card payments.