Twitch has announced the move to mobiles to celebrate the ten million downloads milestone of its Twitch TV viewing app. The app lets users on iOS and Android watch Twitch streams of gameplay being broadcast by users on other platforms, and Twitch says it's been downloaded an equal number of times between the two operating systems.
With the Twitch mobile SDK developers of tablet and smartphone games will be able to enable gamers to broadcast their gameplay directly from their devices. Mobile gamers streaming using Twitch will have similar features to what PC and console players have at their disposal, Twitch said in its announcement. These features include:
- The ability to capture and broadcast gameplay video and audio
- Video capture from the front-facing camera
- Audio capture using an internal or external microphone
- Videos can be archived for immediate viewing on Twitch and uploaded for sharing
- Broadcast quality can be toggled between High, Medium, and Low settings
- Robust chat options including emoticons badges and chat colors
- The easy discovery of related broadcasts from other gamers
Look out soon for the first wave of mobile games that will have Twitch streaming support baked in.